Friday, June 5, 2009

Week One...

Well I had to start somewhere... First off I bought myself a spade. I am hoping to recycle and use second hand tools and equipment as much as possible on the allotment. However I figured with a lot of digging ahead of me I could treat myself to a brand new spade a Spear & Jackson number, with currently a third off at Homebase. With willful enthusiasm I got stuck in and started removing the turf from what will be my first bed.

By the end of the week I had finished digging the bed and was just about to plant some King Edward potatoes. When I was told by a neighbour that I would be lucky to get potatoes from my allotment over the next two years as they would most likely be eaten by something called wireworms. Well my bed was dug and the seed potatoes wer poised to go in the ground so despite the warning I planted the spuds and will keep my fingers crossed. The plan for the rest of this year is to plant small amounts of lots of different things and see what does well and what doesn't. The RHS say companion planting Marigolds may help keep wireworms away from tomatoes, so I may plant some near my spuds. Do your best wire worms!

No comments:

Post a Comment