Friday, June 5, 2009

One month in...

Well the first month has been and gone in a flash of an eye!

Week three was the week of neglect as I managed to pop down once to do some watering as work and other things seemed to get in my way. While week four saw me clear and dig another bed. Not before time as my three sisters (sweetcorn, green beans and squashes) that have been growing in the cold-frame in my garden are desperately needing to be planted out. That is what I will be doing at the weekend hopefully!

I also witnessed my first notable bit of wildlife in the allotment this week (apart from worms and slugs and things). Under one of the mats keeping the grass down I saw what I think was a slow-worm - a lizard without legs. I think it was a slow-worm rather than an adder mainly because it was pretty slow when I moved the mat. It was a shame I didn't have my camera with me. perhaps i will come across it again. It can stay as long as it wants as far as I'm concerned as its diets includes slugs! Just as well as it is a protected species in the UK.

As expected I have pretty much only managed to fit in a couple of hours here down the allotment over the month, I'm probably averaging 2-3 hours a week. But I am pleased with what I have achieved, perhaps because I had low expectations in the first place. Starting so late in the season means I can experiment without expecting too much, and get things in order for a full season of growing next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment