Friday, June 5, 2009

Week Two: Freecycle is my saviour...


The second week saw me set about acquiring tools and other useful things that I desperately needed for my allotment...

Freecycle is my saviour, and a must for any allotmenteer. For those not familiar with freecycle it is basically a network of local message-boards that allow people to post lists of things that they don't want anymore for other people to come and take away. It works on the principal of one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

That second week I picked up two double glazed doors (which I hope I will one day get round to making a cold frame with). A number of bits of old carpet, four pallets for creating a compost bin and a selection of tools including a hoe and a fork. A big thankyou goes to Malcolm who after dropping off the doors, kept me in mind and was kind enough to call me up and offer me some bits of carpet and the tools. As a thankyou please check out his website.

If I was desperate to dig a bed and start growing in week one. My efforts turned to stop things growing in the little time I spent down the allotment in week two. It being the end of May the temperature had shot up as had the grass and weeds. The old bits of carpet I got through Freecycle allowed me to cover most of my plot. I then attacked the rest with my rotary push mower. Hard work, but I want to see how long I can last without resorting to powered tools such as strimmers and rotovators.

No comments:

Post a Comment